The purpose of this program is to achieve the following objectives:
- To produce graduates with extensive knowledge and technical skills in nautical science and current shipping technology.
- Discover all knowledge in all areas related to Maritime Operation through learning, training and research.
- To produce qualified graduates to meet the demands of the maritime sector both at sea and on land.
- To produce graduates who are holistic, skilled, creative and innovative and competitive in their career and research based on nautical science and based on current maritime industry developments.
- To produce graduates who are qualified to pursue postgraduate studies in the same area of expertise at Universiti Malaysia Terengganu or at other institutions of higher learning.
Graduates will have the opportunity to serve in professional management and management groups with government or private agencies such as the Navy, Maritime Enforcement Agency, Port Authority, Shipping and Port Companies, Ship Classification Agency and more. Graduates also have the opportunity to pursue postgraduate studies in the same area of expertise at Universiti Malaysia Terengganu or at other institutions of higher learning. In addition, they are able to run business and personal service agencies such as consultancy services, supply of shipping equipment and various services in the maritime sector.
General Requirements for University Entrance:
a) Pass the SPM / equivalent properly.
b) Credit in Bahasa Melayu / Bahasa Malaysia at SPM / equivalent or credit in Malay / Bahasa Malaysia paper in July.
c) Have at least Level 1 (Band 1) in the Malaysian University English Test (MUET).
d) Pass the STPM exam with at least Grade C (NGMP 2.00) in General Studies / General Paper subjects, and Grade C (NGMP 2.00) in two (2) other subjects.
Obtain a Diploma or other equivalent equivalent recognized by the Government of Malaysia and approved by the IPTA Senate;
Passed the Matriculation / UiTM Science / UM Foundation with a minimum CGPA of 2.00;
Special Terms of the Program
a) STPM / Matriculation / Basic Minimum Candidate Eligibility:
i. Obtaining a B- (NGMP 2.67) in one of the following subjects at STPM level: Geography, Economics, Accounting or Business Studies.
ii. Honors in Mathematics at SPM or Grade C (NGMP 2.00) in Mathematics at STPM / Matriculation / Basic.
iii. Graduated in English subject at SPM level.
b) Equivalent Eligibility
Matriculation or diploma in the appropriate field (CGPA minimum 3.00) from recognized institution.
c) Eligibility for Muet Terms
International Student Admission Requirements
(a) General Requirements
- Senior High School/Senior Secondary School/ Other Certificates from the government schools (with the period of at least 11 to 12 years of study from primary to higher secondary); OR
- GCE A’ Level examination obtained at one sitting, OR
- Any other certificate that is recognized by the Senate of the University as equivalent to the above
(b) Language Requirements
- Pass the Test of English Language as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) at least 550, OR
- Pass the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) at least 5.5, OR
- Pass the Malaysian University English Test (MUET at least Band 3)
* Applicants from the country where the official language is English Language must obtain at least credit in English Language Paper at higher secondary school level.
(c) Programme’s Specific Requirements